topbella

Thursday, 3 November 2011

Review: Moon Called by Patricia Briggs (Mercy Thompson #1)

Publisher - Orbit
Publication Date - 5th June 2008
Paperback - 352 pages
Genre - Urban Fantasy

Source - Purchased

Rating - 4 out of 5: I really liked it

Book Info - Werewolves can be dangerous if you get in their way, but they’ll leave you alone if you are careful. They are very good at hiding their natures from the human population, but I’m not human. I know them when I meet them, and they know me, too.

Mercy Thompson’s sexy next-door neighbor is a werewolf.

She’s tinkering with a VW bus at her mechanic shop that happens to belong to a vampire.

But then, Mercy Thompson is not exactly normal herself … and her connection to the world of things that go bump in the night is about to get her into a whole lot of trouble.

My Thoughts - The first chapter of Moon Called is used to ’set the scene’, with the author providing a huge amount of information about Mercy (a coyote shape-shifter), her family and friends and her connection to the werewolves in this story. Although all the information was interesting and crucial to the story, I couldn’t help but feel that all of this information was crammed in too quickly and I ended up feeling a little bit overwhelmed by it all. But once the introductions had all been made, the story immediately turns to action, which does not stop until the very end of the novel. I loved this as the book moved along at such a fast pace and held my interest all the way through. I just could not put this book down and I found myself waiting with baited breath for what would happen next.

I love the character of Mercy. She is strong, brave, intelligent and funny. She doesn’t back down easily, but at the same time she knows her place in the grand scheme of things – something that comes from spending so much time around werewolves whilst growing up. I found the history between Mercy and Sam (an old boyfriend of hers who just happens to be a very powerful werewolf) intriguing but I did spend a lot of time hoping that something would happen between her and Adam (the alpha of the local werewolf pack). There was just something about him that made me feel as though he would be a better match for Mercy – and he certainly made me feel a little bit weak at the knees! We don’t really get to find out much about Sam in Moon Called. He keeps himself to himself and a lot of what we do find out about him is either from Mercy or his father, the Marrok. I do hope to find out a bit more about him in future books in the series though as he is definitely an interesting character.

Summary - I have read many reviews that raved about how great this series is, and I was worried that after all the hype I would be disappointed. But I couldn’t have been more wrong – this is one book that definitely lives up to the hype. It is an amazing start to a series and I can’t wait to read book two, Blood Bound.

Other books in the series:
1. Moon Called
2. Blood Bound
3. Iron Kissed
4. Bone Crossed
5. Silver Borne
6. River Marked
7. Frost Burned

Other reviews of this book:
Book Chick City / Dear AuthorLove Vampires / The Word Fiend

5 comments:

TheReadingPenguin said...

Patricia Briggs has a talent for building compelling characters in a very short space of time. I love Mercy...and Adam will always be my favorite. At the same time, Sam is sympathetic too, you know? Such a good book! Great review!

Jenny said...

I love this series too and I envy you for getting to enjoy them for the first time. ;) I, however, do NOT like Adam at all! But to each their own.

Chrissie (Once Upon a Series) said...

The Reading Penguin - You're absolutely right. Patricia Briggs is amazing at creating characters I want to read about! Thanks for stopping by :)

Jenny - LOL this is actually an old review that I put up on my old blog last year. I am actually completely up to date with the series and my reviews for the rest of the series will be up over the next few weeks. I know what you mean about being envious though! A while ago a friend of mine started reading these books and I was so jealous that she was experiencing the awesomeness that is this series for the first time! Thanks for stopping by :)

Shelagh said...

Hey Chrissie!

I know what you mean when you've heard so much about a series that you want to read it, but you're not sure if you should. And I was also really pleased I read Moon Called. :)

I have book 2 sitting in my TBR pile, so hopefully I'll catch up with the series at some point. :)

Great reaview.

Shelagh
The Word Fiend

Chrissie (Once Upon a Series) said...

I hope you get to read book two soon Shelagh. The whole series is amazing :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Our Bloggers...

Maddie sometimes guest blogs here!