topbella

Friday 23 August 2013

Kid's Korner Review: Candy and the Cankersaur by Jason Sandberg

Publisher - Self-Published
Publication Date - 18th June 2012
Genre - Children's Picture Book
Format - E-book

Source - Received from author for review

Rating - 3 out of 5: I liked it.

Available to purchase from - Amazon / iTunes / Nook / Kobo

Reviewed by - Chrissie

Book Info - This is the sweet and funny tale of a young girl named Candy and her Cankersaurus Rex! Candy receives a dinosaur as a gift and is determined to train him to be a good pet. This playful homage to Syd Hoff will make all dinosaur-crazy boys and girls happy! Enjoy!

My Thoughts - When the author offered me a review copy of Candy and the Cankersaur, I jumped at the chance. Having two young boys who love everything to do with dinosaurs, I knew that this would be a great book to share with them. Although I have to admit that I was a bit worried about how they would feel reading an e-book with me. That's not something I have done with them before, despite the fact that I am a big fan of e-books for myself, but as it turned out it didn't phase them in the slightest. In fact, it was a novelty for them and so were very excited when I told them we were going to read a book on Mummy's computer!

As this is only a short picture book, then this is going to be quite a short review too. The pictures in this book are colourful and eye-catching and both of my little ones enjoyed looking at them and talking about them. The storyline is fun and both the boys and I enjoyed it. The only thing that I would say is that the author pitched this book to me as being for children aged 3-6 as a book to be shared with parents, or for children aged 6-9 as a read-alone. However, I found some of the words and sentence structures to be a little too complex for my youngest, who is only three. I realise that all children develop differently and that he is on the younger end of the age range, but I still felt that some of the wording could have been put a little more simply. However, my eldest, who is six, didn't have any trouble understanding it at all. My youngest did enjoy talking about the pictures though, and made me go through it another two times with him straight after the first reading, so he definitely enjoyed it too.

Summary - A cute and fun picture book that I think will be a big hit with young boys and girls alike.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Our Bloggers...

Maddie sometimes guest blogs here!