topbella

Monday 1 October 2012

Review: Calling the Shots by Christine D'Abo (Long Shots #4)

Publisher - Carina Press
Publication Date - 8th October 2012
Genre - Erotic Romance/BDSM/Menage

Source - Received from publisher for review via NetGalley

Rating - 5 out of 5: It was amazing!

Book Info - He's had a wild ride, and now sex club owner Josh Scott is looking for a change of scene. But first, he's determined to bring two friends together, and he's willing to be a third wheel to move things along...

Beth Norris is eager to be set up with hot bartender Oliver Stephenson, but she's equally attracted to matchmaker Josh. Soon she's fantasizing about both men at once—and about being the one to call the shots in the encounter...

Ready to move on with his life post-divorce, Oliver is conflicted by the realization that he's attracted to women and men. Or more specifically, to Beth and Josh. He tries to keep his distance, but it's not long before the chemistry between the trio combusts in a night of mind-blowing sex.

In the light of day, it's clear something deeper than desire is growing between Josh, Beth and Oliver. But though Josh has helped others find love in unconventional relationships, is he willing to take a chance on one himself?

My Thoughts - Whilst browsing around NetGalley a few days ago the seriously hot cover of this book caught my eye straight away, so I was very happy when I got approved to review Calling the Shots. And luckily for me, I loved the book just as much as I loved the cover!

I loved the dynamics between the three main characters: Josh, Oliver and Beth. They have all been hurt in the past and have a few issues surrounding relationships and commitment, but when they get together it all just somehow works. They all complement each other so well and have grown so close working together over the last few months that they help each other to work past their issues. It is obvious right from the start that they all care about each other a great deal.

And when the three of them get into the bedroom the temperature increases dramatically! I must admit that I am fairly new to the erotic romance genre and this one was probably a bit more hardcore than any of the others I'd read before and I wasn't sure how I'd feel about some of the content, but it didn't bother me in the slightest. In fact, I ended up loving it a lot more than some of the others I've read from the same genre.

There is a lot of interaction between Josh and Oliver and never having read any books before containing m/m sex scenes I wasn't sure how I'd feel about it. But the author wrote the scenes so well and, having Beth there with them, it all worked really well and I enjoyed the sex scenes a lot! Also, all the other BDSM books I've read in the past have had a male dominant/female submissive theme. But in Calling the Shots, both Josh and Beth are dominants and I loved watching how they both used this dominance to help each other realise their fantasies and to overcome some of their issues.

As well as the romance between the three characters in this book, there is also some suspense thrown in in the form of escalating vandalism in the sex club where they all work. This part was written very well and, without taking away from the romance elements, added real depth to the storyline. It was not at all obvious who was behind the vandalism and the twists in the storyline kept me turning the pages until late in the night.

Summary - I absolutely loved the characters and the romance between them.  Calling the Shots is the first book I've read by Christine D'Abo but it most definitely will not be my last.

Other books in the series:
1. Double Shot
2. A Shot in the Dark
3. Pulled Long
4. Calling the Shots

2 comments:

Shelagh said...

I'm thrilled that you loved Calling the Shots so much Chrissie! I also have a copy from Netgalley and now I'm really keen to dive into it.

Chrissie (Once Upon a Series) said...

I hope you like it as much as I did Shelagh :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Our Bloggers...

Maddie sometimes guest blogs here!