topbella

Tuesday 24 September 2013

Review: Come Undone by Madelynne Ellis (Rock Hard #1)

Publisher - Mischief
Publication Date - 29th August 2013
Ebook - 200 pages
Genre - Erotic Romance

Source - Received from publisher for review via NetGalley

Rating - 2 out of 5: It was ok.

Reviewed by - Chrissie

Book Info - When red-hot, Goth-metal band, Black Halo, split live on stage, fate throws Daniella Fosbrook into the path of sexy vocalist Xane Geist. Initially, Xane’s only looking for a ride home, but Dani tempts him in a way a thousand other women haven’t. Determined to explore their heady chemistry and avoid hashing things out with the band, Xane whisks Dani off to Monaco for a steamy weekend.

There, Dani tries her best to hang onto her heart and some clothing, while Xane soon loses both. However, Xane isn’t being entirely honest about the reason for the band’s demise. When the truth comes out, can Dani accept the facts, or will everything come undone.

My Thoughts - When I first saw this book on NetGalley I thought it sounded really good. However, it was not as good as I was hoping. The first problem that I had with this book was the amount of spelling errors in it. At one point the main character's name even changes from Dani to Danny which really confused me for a moment. I just found this problem to be very distracting and it kept on jolting me out of the story.

Also, I didn't really feel as though I connected with the characters, and with Dani in particular. She comes across very much as a doormat and I did find this slightly irritating at some points. Especially when it came to all things sexual with Xane. He is the lead singer of a rock band who has women throwing themselves at him every single day, so he obviously has way more sexual experience than Dani does. But there were at least a couple of moments where she did something that she obviously wasn't sure about just to please him, to the point where I actually felt uncomfortable reading it. He doesn't force her to do anything but I just kept on wanting him to stop things so that she would be spared doing something that she wasn't ready for. It just meant that some of the sex just wasn't as hot as it was supposed to be... and there was a lot of sex. I'd say too much as I felt the story suffered a little for it. I would have preferred it if more time was spent on character development than working through what felt a little like a checklist of sexual scenarios.

And as for Xane, I wasn't really sure I liked him either, although I did like him more than Dani. When we first meet him he is up on stage singing in a concert literally straight after finding out that his girlfriend (who is also a member of the band) has married his best friend (another band member) behind his back... without even having the decency to break up with him first. Understandably he is upset. But he storms off stage deciding he can't be in the group any more with the two people who have betrayed him so badly and runs straight into Dani. And then starts one of the biggest whirlwind romances I have ever read about. Although I think on some level he does care for Dani, it's also obvious that it is way too soon after getting hurt to be thinking about starting another relationship. He ends up coming across as a little desperate and needy, and he needed to take some time to actually grieve the first relationship before starting the next.

The ending was very frustrating for me. Without wanting to give too much away, it's not so much a cliffhanger as it just kind of... stops. Things are far from stable between Dani and Xane at that point due to some issues that have come up between them (but won't say anymore than that for fear of spoiling things) and it just suddenly comes to an end. Things did not feel wrapped up at all and I know that this is the first in the series but I hope that the second book carries on with Xane and Dani's story in order to give them their happily ever after rather than moving onto another couple, otherwise it will feel as though a big portion of the story is missing.

Summary - I had a lot of issues with this book and found some of it to be very frustrating. To be honest, I'm not sure if I will continue reading the rest of the series, although if I do it will be out of curiosity to see if the author does wrap up Dani and Xane's story.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Our Bloggers...

Maddie sometimes guest blogs here!