topbella

Tuesday 17 September 2013

Review: The Siren by Tiffany Reisz (Original Sinners #1)

Publisher - Mills & Boon
Publication Date - 1st September 2012
Paperback - 432 pages
Genre - Erotic Romance

Source - Received from publisher for review

Rating - 4.5 out of 5: I really liked it!

Reviewed by - Chrissie

Book Info - Some love stories you never forget.

She tore herself from the man she adored, who transformed her, who possessed her...who would have destroyed her. Now she is adored by a man she must not have.

Some books will change your world.

She thinks she knows what it means to be pushed to her limits. She's wrong.

Be prepared...this is one of them.

My Thoughts - I had been wanting to try this series for quite some time, so when the publishers asked if I'd like review copies I jumped at the chance. And I have to say that the first book was even better than I was expecting, if somewhat different from what I thought it would be.

Nora is an erotica author by day and Dominatrix by night. She is working on her latest novel and is having to work hard to prove herself as a real writer to her new editor, Zach. I absolutely loved the grit and determination that Nora showed throughout the whole novel when it came to her writing. She knows she is good and she is determined to make Zach see just how really good her writing is. Of course, it doesn't take Zach long to fall under her spell... both as a writer and as a woman. But they have to keep things professional until the contract for the new book has been signed so there is a lot of chemistry and fireworks between them throughout the novel as they have to try incredibly hard to keep their hands off each other.

Zach was an okay character, but I found I had trouble really connecting with him. I'm not sure if it was because next to the vivacious and bubbly Nora he just looked bland... but then who wouldn't next to Nora! It wasn't until later in the novel when he started to loosen up a little that I began to like him more.

Nora is surrounded by men who are in love with her. There's Zach, as I've already mentioned. Soren, her ex-Dom who she still loves but can't be with for reasons that I won't go into for fear of giving away spoilers. And Wesley, her 19 year old live-in intern who is still a virgin. They are all drawn to her like moths to a flame, and it was the intensity and complexity of these relationships that really helped to draw me into this book until I was unable to put it down. Of course, with one woman and three men, it was obvious that not all of the characters were going to get their happy ending and the need to know how it would all end for everybody was one of the things that made me speed through this book. Although I will admit to feeling a little frustrated with Nora at times. There is no doubt in my mind that she had feelings of some kind for each of these three men but because of her need to feel loved she kept them all around her despite the fact that it could only have disastrous consequences for everybody involved.

I loved the fact that the novel had real substance and storyline to it and wasn't just about the sex. It was about complex matters of the heart that really make the reader think. There are even a few deep conversations about literature and religion and the like that all helped to build the book up into something well worth reading. Although I will admit that the sex that was there was very hot and I enjoyed reading those elements a lot. I will warn you though that the sex is very BDSM orientated and rough at times so may not be for the faint hearted.

Summary - A great, although at times heart-breaking, start to the series. I can't wait to get started on book two!

Other books in this series:
1. The Siren
2. The Angel
3. The Prince
4. The Mistress

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Our Bloggers...

Maddie sometimes guest blogs here!