topbella

Saturday 2 June 2012

Review: Bite Me by Parker Blue (Demon Underground #1)

Publisher - Bell Bridge Books
Publication Date - 30th September 2008
Genre -  Young Adult/Urban Fantasy

Source - Received from NetGalley for review

Rating - 2.5 out of 5: I liked it


Reviewed by - Ally

Book Info - Life after high school is tough enough without having to go 15 rounds with your inner demon.

Val Shapiro is just your ordinary, part-demon, teenaged vampire hunter with a Texas drawl. And a pet hellhound named Fang. Soon enough she finds herself deep in the underbelly of the city, discovering the secrets of the Demon Underground and fighting to save those she loves. Whether they love her back or not.

My Thoughts - Since Richelle Mead's Succubus series ended I’ve been waiting for a book to come into my life to fill that hole. Unfortunately that is a VERY big hole to fill and Val and her inner succubus just did not fill it. This snarky little bundle of vampire hunting, familial problems virginal slayer and her hell hound Fang are a cute little duo, hidden within the depths of older YA books when the Cullen’s weren’t sparkling on our TV screens and vampires were the embodiment of Bram stoker *reminisces on the good ole days* Well okay enough of that.

This cute little older YA series deals with our main character Val Shapiro’s newly abandoned self, her parents, more specifically her spineless mother –excuse me I REALLY disliked her mother!- and her more understanding step dad, who sort of ….blame her for her sister being out late at night fighting vampires with her. That’s not the case …exactly.

Her snarky hell hound who thinks at her in ALL CAPLOCKS is cute and so funny, their relationship was definitely interesting (he reminds me of the unicorn in Allison Pangs series) The fight scenes in the book are definitely intense and well written and with a whole litany of interesting characters with back stories that I can’t wait to discover. This book is fast paced.

For me this wasn’t the most well written book, but the characters made up for it. Val handles her family problems pretty well for a YA which is refreshing for YA. Her love interest in this book is Dan, kind hearted, sweet….BORING Dan, the scenes between them were sweet, she’s part succubus! NOT unicorn (Although Miss Pangs unicorn is pretty horny-pardon the pun- himself). Where’s the lust? (Maybe I’m expecting too much from a YA book? Even if it is for the older crowd.)

The plotting in the middle was spotty; too much travelling, too much dialogue. It felt like I was following a ping pong match at moments, there’s fast paced and then there's pacing. Shade’s character is very cool and the scene with him had me picturing him lighting up my bedroom-no really just my bedroom he swirls with light-and I can totally see him being in my future books and ermmm *cough* dreams.

Things you should know (Again thank you Kimba)

1. This book won’t win awards for literary genius but the content makes up for that.
2. Her mother is a cold hearted ‘shroom.
3. I really liked the sister.
4. The Vampires don’t sparkle.
5. I really want a hellhound.

Summary - This book was cute and Val and Fangs snarky comments were funny. I liked Dan's sister and although Dan is sweet…ehhh. I can’t wait to see what this series has in store. Chao, lovingly Ally who’s waiting for the sexy to be put back into the part lust Demon that is Val Shapiro.

Other books in this series:
1. Bite Me
2. Try Me
3. Fang Me
4. Make Me

Other reviews of this book:
Coffee Table Reviews / That's What She Read / YA Bound

4 comments:

Kimberly @ Caffeinated Reviewer said...

Great review..bummer it was polished enough. I am glad the characters were good though. Thanks for bring this series to my attention.

Jenny said...

Hmmm, I don't like to hear that the writing wasn't great. That always turns me off. Still, it looks fun and who wouldn't want a hell hound for a pet?

Melliane said...

I'm sorry it didn't blow your mind away. A frend recommended this series to me, saying it was awesome. Now I'm a little anxious. I think I'll see by myself. thanks for the review.

Ally said...

Kimba88
Thank you, it was a good read :)

Jenny- Tell me about it but overall it was a good read a hell hound Or a unicorn(from Allison pang's series)

Mellanie- Thank you :)
I think you should definitely read it for your self, tell me what you think after?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Our Bloggers...

Maddie sometimes guest blogs here!