topbella

Friday 5 July 2013

Review: Fifty Sheds of Grey by C.T. Grey


Publisher - Boxtree
Publication Date - 27th September 2012
Hardback - 144 pages
Genre - Parody/Erotica

Source - Purchased

Rating - 3 out of 5: I liked it

Reviewed by - Chrissie

Book Info - Colin Grey’s life was happy and simple, until the day everything changed—the day his wife read that book. Suddenly, he was thrust headfirst into a dark, illicit world of pleasure and pain. This is what happens when a tide of tempestuous, erotic desire invades man’s last place of privacy: his backyard shed.

WARNING: Fifty Sheds of Grey contains fifty graphic shed-based images. Please do not look if you are easily offended.

Follow the phenomenon @50ShedsofGrey

My Thoughts - This is only going to be a very short review as it is, in fact, a very short book. It probably only took me twenty minutes to read from cover to cover. There is some storyline to it but it is mostly a series of witty one-liners based around sheds and BDSM, pulled together by the occasional page of writing. But, those witty one-liners are just hilarious and some of them had me crying with laughter. Although I should probably note that some of it is aimed very much towards British humour so people from overseas may not cry with laughter the way I did. I couldn't write this review though without including a couple of the gems contained within these pages...

'Yes, mistress,' I replied. I didn't dare argue as I bent over the workbench - I could see she had a strop on. At least, I think that's what they're called.

'Make me feel pain like I've never felt before,' she pleaded, blindfolded and naked.
'Alright,' I said, placing the Lego bricks on the shed floor...

'Are you sure you can take the pain?' she demanded, brandishing her stilettos.
'I think so,' I gulped.
'Here we go, then,' she said, and showed me the receipt.

Let's face it, this book isn't likely to win any literary awards, but it is incredibly funny and well worth spending the time on. I even phoned up friends and family, reading pages of the book to them as we sat there laughing hysterically together. My only complaint about this book would have to be the price. I actually bought this as a gift for my dad on Father's Day but ended up reading the whole thing before I gave it to him (sorry dad!) and as it's a hardback it cost me somewhere around the £7.50 mark. Which, although it is a fair price for most hardbacks, I found it to be a little expensive for a book with so little actual content. But, if you can get your hands on a copy of this book to borrow from a library/friend etc then go for it as it really is a lot of fun.

Summary - A light-hearted, witty book that is well worth a read... so long as you can borrow a copy from somewhere.

1 comments:

Shelagh said...

lol - this looks like a fun read and those one-liners you quoted had me giggling madly. I hope your dad enjoyed it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Our Bloggers...

Maddie sometimes guest blogs here!