topbella

Tuesday 12 November 2013

Review: Beg by CD Reiss (Songs of Submission #1)

Publisher - Self Published
Publication Date - 16th January 2013
Ebook - 103 pages
Genre - Erotic Romance

Source - Received for review via NetGalley

Rating -  3 out of 5: I liked it.

Reviewed by - Chrissie

Book Info - My name is Monica. I’m a singer born and raised in Los Angeles.
I’ve stopped dating. When I cut a record, or win a Grammy, maybe then I’ll be with someone, but every man in my past has done everything he could to make me submit myself to him, and it’s gotten in the way of my career. I won’t do it again.

But there’s Jonathan. He owns the high-rise hotel where I work, and he is gorgeous and charming. I refuse to fall in love with him, even though when he asks me to submit to him, I want nothing more.

My Thoughts - When I saw this book available on NetGalley, it looked intriguing. And for the most part it was an enjoyable read. There is a fair amount of talk about music, the band that Monica is a part of and her band mates, and for me, they added an interesting backdrop to the romantic element between Monica and Jonathan. Well, not that I'd go so far as to call it a romance just yet. The chemistry between the two main characters is sizzling but as this is quite a short novella they haven't yet made the move from lust to love yet. Which I think works well as they haven't really spent enough time together for it to be any more than just lust yet. But I did enjoy the chemistry between the two of them.

As this novella is written in first person point of view from Monica's perspective the reader only knows a limited amount about Jonathan, so it's hard to get a real feel for him. But so far I like him. He's a bit of a womaniser but he is upfront about that and as far as I can tell isn't in it to hurt women. He just seems a bit like a loveable rogue and personally I can see why the women seem to fall into his bed so easily.

I had a bit more trouble with Monica as a main character though. She has been hurt in the past and is reluctant to get involved in a relationship with anybody. But she comes across as incredibly cold. Not just to men who may possibly be interested in her, but also to the people who are supposed to be her friends, which I found hard to understand. She is incredibly driven when it comes to her music and singing, but this seems to be the only thing she cares about and I felt that she was very selfish. At one point, Monica leaves her suicidal friend to go home on her own for the night all because she wants a night of passion with Jonathan. I wasn't particularly fond of Monica and that was why i didn't give this novella a higher rating.

Summary - An interesting and enjoyable plot, with a likeable hero. Unfortunately, trouble connecting with the main female character meant that I didn't enjoy this story as much as I possibly could have done.

Other books in the series:
1. Beg
2. Tease
3. Submit
3.5. Jessica and Sharon
4. Contol
5. Burn
5.5. Rachel
6. Resist
7. Sing
7.5. Monica



0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Our Bloggers...

Maddie sometimes guest blogs here!