topbella

Tuesday 26 November 2013

Review: Private Paradise by Jami Alden (Private Series #2)

Publisher - Self-published
Publication Date - 5th October 2011
Ebook - 150 pages
Genre - Erotic Romance

Source - Kindle freebie

Rating - 3.5 out of 5: I liked it.

Reviewed by - Chrissie

Book Info - After years of catering to the whims of the rich and famous at one of the Caribbean's most luxurious resorts, there isn't much that can rattle Carla DeLuca.

Until Sam O'Connell shows up.

Tall, dark, and sexy, Holley Cay's new security chief is no stranger. He's the irresistible bad boy who seduced her over a long, hot summer only to leave her heartbroken, humiliated, and determined to never again fall for a player like him. But though her heart still stings with the memory of his rejection, her body can't forget the all-consuming pleasure of his touch.

Sam never forgave himself for his too cruel rejection of Carla over a decade before. Young, reckless, and convinced it was only a matter of time before Carla regretted hooking up with a trouble maker like him, Sam pushed Carla away before she could realize her mistake. But when Sam lands a job working for Carla in paradise, he seizes the chance to finally make things right.

When a hurricane strands them alone on the island, Carla is unable to resist the passion simmering between them. She doesn't fool herself that what they have will last past the storm. But little does she know, Sam will do whatever it takes to make her his - forever this time.

My Thoughts - Last year I read Jami Alden's Gemini Men series and loved them so much I rushed through the entire trilogy in just a week because I couldn't put them down. So when I saw Private Paradise on Amazon for free, I couldn't resist it. And although I didn't enjoy it as much as her other series, this is still well worth a read.

Part of the problem for me was that it lacked the excitement and suspense of the Gemini Men series, but then they are two very different types of books. The Gemini Men series is romantic suspense (with LOTS of sexy times!) and kept me on the edge of my seat. So I was kind of expecting the same thing from this one, especially when I read about the hero being hired as the chief of security. It just put images in my head of him having to be all alpha male and protective. And that is almost there, but it isn't as obvious in this series as the extreme outside forces aren't really there. In fact, not much really happens in this story and it is very much a story of the emotional development of the two main characters. The main thing that happens is that a hurricane hits but really that is just a plot device used to force Carla and Sam together into close proximity for a while.

But, as much as that all makes it sound as though I didn't enjoy it, that's not really true. It is a good, quick read that is full of steamy sex and sizzling chemistry. I liked reading about Sam. He was a typical bad boy when he was younger who broke Carla's heart, but over the years he has pulled himself together and made something of himself. Carla on the other hand, although I did like her independent spirit and strength, at times she came across as a little cold and heartless which affected the way that I saw her as a character. I know that Sam broke her heart but there were a few times I found myself cringing at things she said in her attempt to get back at him. But then there were also a lot of times when she was soft and caring towards him too, so I found that I had mixed feelings about her.

Summary - A very hot quick read that is perfect for warming up the cold evenings. Fans of erotic romance will enjoy Private Paradise a lot.

Other books in the series:
1. Private Party
2. Private Paradise
3. Private Pleasures
4. Private Passions

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Our Bloggers...

Maddie sometimes guest blogs here!