topbella

Friday 8 November 2013

Review: The Mistress by Tiffany Reisz (Original Sinners #4)

Publisher - Mills and Boon
Publication Date - 2nd August 2013
Paperback - 560 pages
Genre - Erotic Romance

Source - Received from publisher for review

Rating - 3 out of 5: I liked it.

Reviewed by - Chrissie

Book Info - Nora Sutherlin is being held, bound and naked. Under different circumstances, she would enjoy the situation immensely, but her captor isn't interested in play. Or pity.

As the reality of her impending peril unfolds, Nora becomes Scheherazade, buying each hour of her life with stories-sensual tales of Søren, Kingsley and Wesley, each of whom has tempted and tested and tortured her in his own way. This, Nora realizes, is her life: nothing so simple, so vanilla, as a mere love triangle for her. It's a knot in a silken cord, a tangled mass of longings of the body and the heart and the mind. And it may unravel at any moment.

But in Nora's world, no one is ever truly powerless-a cadre of her friends, protectors and lovers stands ready to do anything to save her, even when the only certainty seems to be sacrifice and heartbreak....

My Thoughts - Please note that this review will contain spoilers for previous books in the series, so if you haven't already read them, look away now. As you've probably seen from my earlier reviews, I am a big fan of this series. Huge fan. So I was expecting this book to deliver something very special, much like the previous books, but I have to admit that I was rather disappointed.

When Nora got kidnapped at the end of The Prince, I couldn't wait to get started on The Mistress to find out what happened next. But not a lot really happens. Nora is held captive by a woman hell bent on revenge and her two henchmen, while Soren, Kingsley, Wesley and a few other characters try to figure out the best way to rescue her. And it should have been fraught with tension to keep the reader on the edge of their seat... but that just wasn't there for me. I have to admit that the first 300 or so pages were really hard to get through and it took me a long time to read this book as a result. The only reason that I didn't give up with it is because I loved the previous books in the series and I have come to love the characters and needed to know how things ended for them in this book, even if the journey to finding that out wasn't an easy one.

A majority of the book was dedicated to Nora telling her kidnapper stories about her relationships with the many men in her life. And, although this was interesting as it was a closer look at the complex relationships that I have come to love so much during the course of the series, I didn't feel as though it pushed the plot forward at all. In fact, I'd already heard about many of the stories in previous books, but they were just covered here in more detail. For this reason, it felt as though a lot of the book was just "filler".

However, the last 150 or so pages were just fantastic. As everything came to a very dramatic conclusion I was pulled right into the story again and couldn't put the book down. I wasn't sure how it was all going to end with the kidnapper and there were some very good twists and revelations along the way that had me turning the pages avidly. And I can't wait to see how things continue for this intriguing cast of characters.

Summary - A very slow start which I found to be fairly disappointing, but it was made up for by the ending which wrapped everything up nicely with a bang. Definitely not the best book in the series, but still worth a read.

Other books in the series:
1. The Siren
2. The Angel
3. The Prince
4. The Mistress

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Our Bloggers...

Maddie sometimes guest blogs here!