topbella

Friday 3 May 2013

Review: Run the Risk by Lori Foster (Love Undercover #1)

Publisher - Harlequin
Publication Date - 25th September 2012
Genre - Romantic Suspense

Source - Received from publisher for review via NetGalley

Rating - 4 out of 5: I really liked it

Reviewed by - Chrissie

Book Info - When Detective Logan Riske goes undercover to find Pepper Yates, a potential link to his best friend’s unsolved murder, he vows to gain her cooperation by any means necessary. But the elusive beauty is more suspicious - and in far more danger - than he expected. And the last thing Logan needs is to start caring for her...

Pepper has spent the past five years dodging the corrupt club owner who will stop at nothing to keep her silenced. She can trust no one, not even the handsome new “construction worker” who’s moved in next door. The heat between them is undeniable. But will surrendering to passion bring her the safety she so desires—or will her feelings for Logan draw them both into a killer’s crosshairs?

My Thoughts - Last year I read Lori Foster's Edge of Honor series and absolutely loved them. So much so that I read them one after another, which is pretty uncommon for me - it would have to be a really good series to keep me gripped for that long. So when I saw Run the Risk up on NetGalley I jumped at the chance to read it. And I wasn't disappointed in the slightest.

Run the Risk is a great combination of loveable characters, a twisting plot that will keep the reader on the edge of their seat and a sweet and sizzling romance. It propels the reader along through the storyline as you can't help but care for the characters and want to see how they manage to resolve all the problems.

Logan and Pepper were great main characters and I really enjoyed getting to know them. Logan is a driven and loyal man who is seeking the person who murdered his best friend. I loved his protective side and the way he wanted to keep Pepper safe from harm. However, the one thing I didn't like about Logan was the way that he was willing to use Pepper to get to her brother Rowdy, the only witness to his friend's murder. Okay, so it does become obvious that, although that is why he originally started talking to her, that it very quickly turned into something else for him and he did have genuine feelings for her. But by that point it had already clouded my judgement about him a little. However, I did still really like Logan.

Pepper is the character that really made this novel for me. She is loyal and strong, yet has a hint of vulnerability about her that really endears her to the reader. Rowdy, her brother, is the only person she has had in her life for a long time and because of that they are incredibly close, and I loved seeing this bond between them. The chemistry between Logan and Pepper is obvious from the start and they work so well together. Pepper is cautious and secretive, while Logan is patient and sensitive with her. Despite the fall out when she realises why he first started talking to her, they really are a great couple and it was so easy to fall in love with them.

But, as well as Pepper and Logan, there were some other great characters that have left me wanting more of their stories. First of all there is Logan's best friend Reese and his very secretive and intriguing next door neighbour, Alice, who are the focus of book two in the series, Bare it All. And I would love to see Rowdy get his happy ever after too.

Summary - A great start to a new series by one of my favourite authors. A must read if you are a fan of romantic suspense. I have already got my copy of book two in the series from NetGalley and I will be starting it straight away. I can't wait to find out what happens with Reese and Alice.

Other books in the series:
1. Run the Risk
2. Bare it All

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Our Bloggers...

Maddie sometimes guest blogs here!