topbella

Saturday 25 February 2012

Paranormal Romance Month Review: The Darkest Kiss by Gena Showalter (Lords of the Underworld #2)

Publisher - Mira Books
Publication Date - 18th September 2009
Paperback - 384 pages
Genre - Paranormal Romance

Source - Purchased

Rating - 3 out of 5: I liked it

Book Info - Though she has lived for centuries, Anya, goddess of anarchy, has never known pleasure. Until Lucien, the incarnation of death--a warrior eternally doomed to take souls to the hereafter. He draws her like no other. And Anya will risk anything to have him.

But when the merciless Lord of the Underworld is ordered by the gods to claim Anya herself, their uncontrollable attraction becomes an anguished pursuit. Now they must defeat the unconquerable forces that control them, before their thirst for one another demands a sacrifice of love beyond imagining...

My Thoughts - I found Lucien an intriguing character in the first book of this series so I was really pleased when I realised that this was his story. I wasn't disappointed and I loved reading about his history and his task of transporting souls to either Heaven or Hell.

Anya was definitely the highlight of this novel for me. She is funny, brave and strong. She knows what she wants and will stop at nothing until she has got it.

The chemistry between Anya and Lucien is sizzling, but I did find some of the interactions between them to be pretty frustrating. For a long time they are not able to admit how they feel about each other. They put so much effort into hiding their feelings that they end up constantly hurting each other. At times I felt like screaming at them to drop the act and just get on with it!

Although I really enjoyed most of the novel, I did not like the ending. The way things end up between Lucien and Anya feels a bit too contrived and very rushed. I wish the author had spent a bit more time wrapping up this book so that it felt more satisfactory.

Summary - Despite my feelings about the way the book ends, I am still enjoying this series enough to carry on with it. Plus, book three is about the demon who most intrigues me - Reyes, the keeper of Pain. I can't wait to read his story!

Other books in this series:
0.5. The Darkest Fire
1. The Darkest Night
2. The Darkest Kiss
3. The Darkest Pleasure
3.5. The Darkest Prison
4. The Darkest Whisper
5. The Darkest Passion
6. The Darkest Lie
7. The Darkest Secret
8. The Darkest Surrender

Other reviews of this book:
Buggy's Book Blog / Pedantic Phooka

3 comments:

Ellie said...

I think I have some of her books on my TBR, just trying to avoid starting a new series at the moment...just in case I get sucked in!

Shelagh said...

I really need to get my hands on these books - I see you haven't been blown away by them, but I am super intrigued.

Chrissie (Once Upon a Series) said...

Ellie - I just wish I had your restraint when it comes to starting a new series ;)

Shelagh - You're right that I haven't been blown away. BUT, I am enjoying them and although I've only read the first three so far I do have plans to carry on reading them :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Our Bloggers...

Maddie sometimes guest blogs here!