topbella

Tuesday 28 February 2012

Paranormal Romance Month Review: The Darkest Pleasure by Gena Showalter (Lords of the Underworld #3)

Publisher - Mira Books
Publication Date - 18th September 2009
Paperback - 384 pages
Genre - Paranormal Romance

Source - Purchased

Rating - 4 out of 5: I really liked it

Book Info - Reyes is a man possessed. Bound by the demon of pain, he is forbidden to know pleasure. Yet he craves a mortal woman, Danika Ford, more than breath and will do anything to claim her - even defy the gods.

Danika is on the run. For months she's eluded the Lords of the Underworld, immortal warriors who won't rest until she and her family have been destroyed. But her dreams are haunted by Reyes, the warrior whose searing touch she can't forget. Yet a future together could mean death to all they both hold dear....

My Thoughts - This is definitely my favourite book of the series so far. It tells the story of Reyes, the keeper of Pain, and a human female, Danika. We have had glimpses of their story in the previous two books (glimpses that have left me very excited for this book!) but this story focuses on them completely.

I absolutely fell in love with Reyes. At first I thought it might be strange reading about a man who needs to hurt himself to please his demon, and to feel any kind of pleasure himself. But because of the amazing character building by the author it was not strange at all. I was pulled into his story and I really felt for him. Out of all the Lords I have read about so far, he seems the most human. He accepts his demon and has come to accept his need for pain but his shame is obvious. He has taught his demon to be satisfied with self-inflicted pain so that Reyes does not have to hurt anybody else or pull anybody else into his situation by letting others hurt him. I couldn't help but feel for him - his isolation and shame, and the fact that he has to endure this for eternity. And when he meets Danika, the reader sees a softer side of Reyes, which made me go weak at the knees a few times.

At the beginning of The Darkest Pleasure, Danika is on the run from the Lords after being kidnapped by them in the first book. Her loneliness and desperation jumps off the page at the reader. As with Reyes, you can't help but fall in love with her. Her strength and courage are admirable.

Summary - There are many twists and turns in this book and many shocking revelations. These kept me gripped until the very end. Gena Showalter has brought together loveable characters, intrigue, mystery and romance to create an amazing paranormal romance novel.

Other books in this series:
0.5. The Darkest Fire
1. The Darkest Night
2. The Darkest Kiss
3. The Darkest Pleasure
3.5. The Darkest Prison
4. The Darkest Whisper
5. The Darkest Passion
6. The Darkest Lie
7. The Darkest Secret
8. The Darkest Surrender

Other reviews of this book:
Buggy's Book Blog / Maryse's Book Blog / Pedantic Phooka

8 comments:

Sarah (saz101) said...

AAAAAAAH! I kind of can't believe I still haven't read a SINGLE Gena Showalter book >___<
This sounds GOOOOD... err, and like it might have a slight... uhhh... BDSM bent? And I LOVE the cover! I'm surprised how much I love the cover!

Eeek! So, I really REALLY want to read this book now. It sounds slightly amazing. And how you've described Reyes? As kind of selfless and tortured and... WOW. LOVE IT! WANT!

Sarah@Catching Books said...

Sounds awesome!! I haven't heard of the series but I will be sure to check it out :) Great review@@

Chrissie (Once Upon a Series) said...

Sarah (saz101) - You should really read this book! I loved it :)

Umm, there isn't really much BDSM in this one. Reyes is too much of a gentleman for that ;)

And I agree - I love the cover too. In fact I love the covers of the whole series :)

Sarah @ Catching Books - This is a great series. I hope you get to read them soon :)

Sarah (saz101) said...

oooh, I'm glad he's a gentleman... it's just the idea of him inflicting pain... on himself... it sounds like the perfect setup for something seriously kinky :S

I'll add the series to my TBR :D

Shelagh said...

This cover definitely demands some close attention! Reyes sounds like just my kind of PNR leading man. With each of these reviews I am getting more hooked on this series!

Chrissie (Once Upon a Series) said...

Sarah - Yeah, there are a few kinky moments in this one ;)

Shelagh - I think the covers for the whole series are pretty yummy :P And Reyes is definitely a dreamy lead man *sigh*. Hope you get to read them soon :)

Shelagh said...

I finally caved and bought the first four books on my Kindle - they were sold as a bundle for a great price!

Chrissie (Once Upon a Series) said...

Shelagh - Yay! I'm glad you finally gave in to my powers of persuasion ;)

I hope you enjoy them and I'll be on the look-out for your reviews :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Our Bloggers...

Maddie sometimes guest blogs here!