topbella

Tuesday 25 October 2011

Review: The Hunt by Amy Meredith (Dark Touch #2)

Publisher - Red Fox
Publication Date - 5th August 2010
Paperback - 272 pages
Genre - Young Adult/Urban Fantasy

Source - Received from publisher for review

Rating - 3 out of 5: I liked it

Book Info - Something is hunting. Something that will kill to get what it wants. And it isn’t human.

Eve knows that her supernatural powers are called for, but she’d rather focus on dating than demons and gorgeous Luke is, frankly, pretty distracting. He’s already a friend – but could he be something more? Do Luke and Eve really have a future? And with demons on the hunt, will either of them live long enough to find out?

Review - I must admit that I din't like the first book in the series much, but I was promised that book two was better so I decided to give it a go. I'm glad that I did read The Hunt as it did manage to iron out some of the problems that I had with book one, but it still didn't manage to amaze me.

One of the best parts about The Hunt for me is the potential romance between Eve and Luke. It is very much a will they/won't they situation that will leave the reader guessing as to whether anything will happen between them. What I like most about this relationship is that it is very different to most romances in YA fiction. First of all there is no love triangle! And secondly they are not falling all over each other in a 'Oh my God, I've fallen in love at first sight and we must be together forever and ever' kind of way, which I think is pretty unrealistic of most 15 year olds. They are friends who are developing feelings for each other and it is all very sweet and tender.

I also found the characters of Eve and Jess more likeable. Although they do still come off as being pretty shallow due to the fact that they constantly talk about clothes and make-up, I could also see that there is a very close bond between them too. They are willing to put themselves into any kind of situation in order to help each other out.

Once again, the storyline is written in such a way that it is a quick and easy read, but I was able to solve the mystery very early on in the book and this did ruin the ending for me. This is about the only complaint I can make about The Hunt, but I still felt it was a pretty average read. For me the romance was average, the friendships were average and the storyline was average. There just wasn't a single part of the book that made me feel any kind of strong emotion towards it.

Summary - The Hunt is a fairly enjoyable book, but don't expect it to blow you away.

Other books in the series:
1. Shadows
2. The Hunt
3. Fever
4. Betrayal

Other reviews of this book:
Booktastic Reviews / I Was a Teenage Book Geek / Teenage Fiction for all Ages

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Our Bloggers...

Maddie sometimes guest blogs here!