topbella

Thursday 6 October 2011

Review: Passion by Lauren Kate (Fallen #3)

Publisher - Doubleday Children's Books
Publication Date - 23rd June 2011
Paperback - 432 pages
Genre - Young Adult/Paranromal Romance

Source - Received from publisher for review

Rating - 4 out of 5: I really liked it

Book Info - Before Luce and Daniel met at Sword & Cross, before they fought the Immortals, they had already lived many lives. And so Luce, desperate to unlock the curse that condemns their love, must revisit her past incarnations in order to understand her fate. Each century, each life, holds a different clue.

But Daniel is chasing her throughout the centuries before she has a chance to rewrite history.

How many deaths can one true love endure?

And can Luce and Daniel unlock their past in order to change their future?

My Thoughts - This book carries straight on from the events of Torment so please do read this series in order as you will have trouble trying to work out what is happening.

I enjoyed reading about Luce and Daniel's past lives and I liked the historical details of the different times and places. There are some very romantic moments between the pair that really melted my heart.

The storytelling alternates between Luce and Daniel, which I thought was great! One of the problems I had with Torment was that I wanted to know more from Daniel's point of view and we definitely get that in this book, although there is still an air of mystery surrounding him.

The parts that are set during Luce's past lives are well written. With there being past and present versions of Luce, Daniel, Cam etc there is the potential for confusion, but the author manages to make it clear who is who.

*SPOILER ALERT* The part of the story I wasn't very happy with is when Luce goes 3D - enters the body of a past Luce. I have only just started to get used to the idea of travelling around in time through shadows and then the author throws in another completely mind-blowing concept. It just felt a little too unreal for me. However, I found Luce does become slightly more likeable when she is in the body of her former selves. When she is in her own body she tends to act very spoilt and spends a lot of time stamping her feet and saying 'That's not fair!'. This behaviour doesn't sit right with someone who is trying to break a millenia old curse so that she can be with the man she is destined to love forever.

Summary - Overall I enjoyed Passion a lot more than Torment and there is a great cliffhanger that has got me eagerly awaiting the final book in the series. It is a series that has got everything from mystery, danger, suspense and eternal love. What more could you ask for? Passion is well worth reading.

Other books in the series:
1. Fallen
2. Torment
3. Passion
3.5. Fallen in Love
4. Rapture

Other reviews of this book:
Chicklish / Daisy Chain Book Reviews / Dark ReadersHeaven, Hell and Purgatory

2 comments:

Tina S said...

Great review Chrissie! But I have to say I really enjoyed the 3D bits - really adds to the story :)

I liked the historical detail too :)

Chrissie (Once Upon a Series) said...

Thanks Tina. For me, the historical detail was the best bit - apart from Daniel of course ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Our Bloggers...

Maddie sometimes guest blogs here!