topbella

Thursday 27 October 2011

Review: Wolfsbane by Andrea Cremer (Nightshade #2)

Publisher - Atom
Publication Date - 26th July 2011
Paperback - 400 pages
Genre - Young Adult/Urban Fantasy

Source - Purchased

Rating - 5 out of 5: It was amazing

Book Info - Calla Tor wakes up in the lair of the Searchers, her sworn enemy, and she's certain her days are numbered.

But then the Searchers make her an offer, one that gives her the chance to destroy her former masters and save the pack and the man she left behind. Is Ren worth the price of her freedom? And will Shay stand by her side no matter what? Now in control of her own destiny, Calla must decide which battles are worth fighting and how many trials true love can endure and still survive.

My Thoughts - I was very eager to read Wolfsbane after the jaw-dropping cliff-hanger at the end of Nightshade, and I'm glad to say that I was not the slightest bit disappointed. Wolfsbane is full of action, romance and intrigue, with amazing characters and great story-telling.

The author has perfected the balance between action and quiet moments. I found myself completely drawn into the many fights that Calla finds herself in, as well as being fascinated by all the history that is provided about the Keepers, Guardians, Searchers and the Scion during the quieter parts. My one and only complaint about Wolfsbane is that, at times, too much background information is given in a short space of time and I did feel a bit of an information overload. There were a few points where I would have to re-read a few pages to make sure I hadn't missed anything important.

It is impossible not to really feel for Calla and the situation that she finds herself in. Her whole world as she knows it has been turned upside down and she has to find a way to deal with that whilst trying to rescue the members of her pack that got left behind. And although Calla is a great main character, there is also an amazing supporting cast. The Searchers really come into the spotlight in this novel and the characters were well-written and likeable. My favourites were Adne and Connor. I loved reading the banter between these two and I look forward to reading more about them in the future.

Now onto the Team Ren/Team Shay debate. At the end of Nightshade I was definitely Team Ren, but after finishing Wolfsbane I don't think I belong to either team anymore. I don't really want to say why I'm not Team Ren anymore as it would give away too many spoilers, but I'm seriously hoping Ren sorts himself out in the next book. And as for Shay, he is just too aggressive in his pursuit of Calla for my liking. She has just made some life changing discoveries and she is in the process of making some tough decisions about the future of her pack, and he won't give her any room to breathe. To be fair though, this behaviour is explained later in the novel but it still made me feel uncomfortable.

Summary - A great addition to the series and I am really excited about the release of book three.

Other books in this series:
1. Nightshade
2. Wolfsbane
3. Bloodrose

Other reviews of this book:
Annette's Book Spot / Beckoned by Books / Girls in the Stacks / The Crooked Shelf
(If you would like your review of Wolfsbane included here, please leave a link to your review in the comments and I will be sure to add it)

4 comments:

Jenny said...

I almost wasn't going to read this series but eventually I was convinced to try it. I went and bought Nightshade but, alas, it still sits on my shelf. Maybe I should get to it.

Chrissie (Once Upon a Series) said...

Hi Jenny. I agree that you should get to reading this series. It is amazing. Hope you get time to read it soon :)

Chrissie (Once Upon a Series) said...

Thanks Shelagh :) *waves back*

Belgie said...

This book was amazing.It has everything you want in a book.when Calla and Shay are final togther as alphas in the pack.But i need the other book its taking forever for it to come out. I would recomend this book to people that want suspence and action.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Our Bloggers...

Maddie sometimes guest blogs here!